Mar 30, 2008

Report from the Road: Sittin' in Seattle

Victoria makes another stop, this time for a stellar show from start (can you say TRAPPED?) to finish.

Here is how it all went down:

Seattle seemed like an oasis after the drive from Portland through periods of intense rain, sideways sleet and fast falling hail. Bruce and gang arrived at 5:45 p.m. in a downpour and promptly drove directly into the dry confines of Key Arena. Less than three hours later they took the stage by storm opening with the power trio: Trapped – Radio Nowhere – No Surrender.

And the surprises didn’t end there. Bruce was focused with a bounce in his step and it was obvious he was having a ball. He goofed around with the members of the band and hammed it up for the appreciative sold out crowd.

The band was tight and cohesive which made the song transitions seamless.
Nil’s searing guitar solo on Because the Night, Stevie’s vocals on Long Walk and Max’s relentless drumming were exceptional. Tonight’s show featured nine different songs from the previous night in Portland.

During the intro to Point Blank I heard someone yell out “holy f***”, then I realized it was me. That utterance was in response to just having heard the first notes of the rarely played song after a beautiful version of My Own Worst Enemy. Fans continue to make requests via signs and Bruce continues to accommodate. First it was Waitin’ on a Sunny Day, a small banner that Bruce autographed before returning it. Then Tenth Avenue Freeze-out (where the crowd took turns singing with Bruce who was clearly enjoying himself) followed by a rousing-all-out Rosie to kick off the encore.

I often read reviews about other shows and wish I had been there – this time I feel very fortunate to have attended this one. I can’t imagine a better combination – Bruce and the band in top form, an outstanding setlist and a lively, energetic crowd.

A few comments about Key Arena. It is a basketball only venue with concert seating for 15,100. There are no seats directly beside or behind the stage. It appeared that perhaps there were too many GA tickets sold as people continued to stream onto the floor as late as 8:15 p.m. The mixing station was located at the end of the arena and was surrounded by fans – there wasn’t an empty floor spot to be seen. It became obvious to me why Seattle is a coffee town – there is no alcohol allowed in the stands which translates to high java sales and that (along with getting a beer fix) explains the excessive fan movement throughout the show.

I suppose everyone needs a day of rest – so I’ll take mine tomorrow along with Bruce and the legendary E Street Band. We’ll hook up Monday at GM Place in Vancouver, B.C for the last of three northwest dates.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

good that its no booze in the stands. In the 30 years of concertgoing... I am more than sick of some nimrod spilling on me ! If you need beer to party at a bruce show, you probably need some prozac.
By the way... "Point Blank" evoked the identical response from me. My first bruce show was the river tour, October 24, 1980 , in that very same building ( before remodel of course)
With illness , I am surprised I got to see yet another show !