Nov 21, 2007

The Brotherhood of the Boss

I've been toying with this title since I got back from the two Chicago shows and have just found the words to ask this question. But before I ask anything, I feel I should explain the title a little bit.

I've lurked on BTX and GreasyLake for a number of years now and what I've noticed is the living community that has emerged and quickly in the digital realm around Springsteen. Granted, Springsteen's handlers have done a horrible job in this area but I don't think that is a bad thing anymore --it may have been viewed as forced if bigco had tried to create the community themselves.

Anyway.

I have a group of guys that I go to the shows with -- The Ottawa Boys. We met in the PIT line for The Rising Tour in Ottawa - I was number 51 and they were a couple ahead of me. It's ironic but there were a bunch of Rob's and an Ett. The old PIT process made for a great way to meet similar fans (as opposed to the way things happen on the Magic tour) and meet we did. The Ottawa Boys hit it off so well that we headed to NJ for a couple of shows, congregate when a CD or DVD is released and struggle online (and in a conference call) when tickets go on sale. We all headed down to Chicago for two shows and stay in touch around Springsteen news, setlists and news announcements (we also wonder why we just don't quit our jobs and hit the road and follow Springsteen around).

We are but a small group of guys and gals who appreciate Springsteen's music and have formed a strong personal bond around His music and I see this everywhere online on BTX and similar boards -- there are groups that meet before each show, groups that raise money for charities, and groups that come together to support each other during times of sadness and happiness.

The odd thing about this whole experience is the QUALITY of the people I've met over the years -- they are amazing, hospitable, honest people. Everyone of them (ok, maybe not the pit pigs). We have formed a camaraderie that began with a chord from Springsteen but has aged well and grown into friendship.

I know there are other experiences like this out there -- everywhere. My question to you is simple: What is your "Brotherhood of The Boss" story? Do tell!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My story goes like this. It all started at an Anniversary show in Feb 2003 at The Stone Pony.

I met a guy who happened to be from Ottawa along with a group of gals from CT.

We chatted, shared some drinks together and were there for the music. Exchanged emails and I never thought about it until the show in Montreal approached.

I started to recieve emails from the guy from Ottawa, COME TO MONTREAL. I thought this was crazy, I mean I live in NJ and never went anywhere other than NY, NJ and 1 Philly show. On top of this I did not have a ticket to a sold out show.


I ended up going as did one of the girls from CT. From that our newly found friend from Ottawa encouraged traveling to see Bruce and the Band and I offered my place in NJ for the upcoming Jersey shows. A wonderful friendship had begun.

We have a group of us( 6 -8) that have formed great friendships since that night at The Pony and we all travel together to go as many Bruce shows as possible.

We do other things as well but I can honestly say, not only am I grateful for my Bruce Brotherhood, I am grateful for the all the little things it has given me. Things I never thought of, all the good that comes from this community truly is something so special that is hard to find the words to articulate it. Unless, you have experienced it first hand, others tend to call you crazy.